Adidas, HP, Windows trial new-look Twitter profile pages
Twitter has expanded its profiles format, giving individuals and brands larger profile photos, customised headers and a 'pin' function to let users show off their favourite post.
The new profile set-up, which some tweeters and tech commentators have compared to the design of Facebook’s pages, will roll out across all users’ accounts in the "coming weeks", including for brands. Brands so far sporting the new look include Adidas, HP, Windows and Twitter.
The new design is currently being showcased across a number of celebrity and brand accounts, including those of US First Lady Michelle Obama, actors Channing Tatum and Zac Efron, as well as recording artists Weezer and John Legend.
Users’ "Best Tweets" – those that have received the greatest levels of engagement – will appear on the page slightly enlarged.
A "Pinned Tweet" option allows members to select the tweet they think sums them up best and pin it to the top of their page; meanwhile, "Filtered Tweets" allows users to choose which timeline to view when checking others' profiles, such as solely "Tweets", "Tweets with photos/videos" and "Tweets and replies".
Twitter posted an update on its blog, stating: "Moment by moment, your Twitter profile shows the world who you are. Starting today, it will be even easier (and, we think, more fun) to express yourself through a new and improved web profile."
According to eMarketer, the number of Twitter users in the UK grew by 34% in 2012 to around 25% of all UK web users; while its net ad revenues grew 120.8% in 2013 and in the UK they were up by 204%.
But eMarketer added that desktop advertising – "where the new Twitter profiles are likely to have the highest impact" – accounted for only 28% of Twitter’s net ad revenue share in 2013, "and that percentage is expected to continue to decrease as mobile advertising represents a growing share of the company's overall ad revenues".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Executive Innesco £20k-26k, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)