John Lewis walks consumers through its history to celebrate 150 years of business
John Lewis is marking 150 years of being in business with a series of commemorative events, centred on an exhibition at its flagship Oxford Street store in London.
John Lewis: retailer walks consumers through its history to celebrate its 150th anniversary
The anniversary plans – revealed by Marketing last month – aim to walk consumers through John Lewis' heritage and the mission of one man who wanted "a way of doing business better", supported by a new TV ad.
The interactive exhibition at the Oxford Street store will allow visitors to walk down the cobbled streets of Victorian London, opening a door into the draper's shop that began the brand in 1864.
People will walk down a dimly lit corridor into John Spedan Lewis' office, offering an insight into the founder and his beliefs that his workers should be co-owners in the business.
Following an installation telling the story of how a Second World War bomb threatened the future of the company, a collaboration with the Royal College of Art will let consumers see the future of shopping and people's lives.
In addition, John Lewis will open the roof of the building to consumers, transforming it into a tranquil area for people to visit, while the brand's fashion department will debut Orla Kiely's menswear range.
The activity kicks off on 3 May, when John Lewis shops up and down the UK will host their own commemorative activity and, working in partnership with Barnardo's, will support local charity initiatives.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £36,000 - £44,000* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Campaign Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £27,916 - £32,500* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England