Mark Zuckerberg lookalike turns to therapy in WeChat ad
Chinese messaging service WeChat has poked fun at Mark Zuckerberg with a South African TV ad that apparently shows the Facebook founder in distress about being abandoned by his friends.
WeChat: messaging service runs spoof ad poking fun at Mark Zuckerberg
The humorous spot shows a man clearly meant to be Zuckerberg complaining that people are "unfriending" him, and that he can find his "real friends" on WeChat, which is owned by Chinese internet giant Tencent.
"I mean, I invented the social network. But now my friends, they’re unfriending me," complains Mark, an American male with curly brown hair lying on a therapist’s couch.
His odd therapist, complete with thick German accent, exclaims, "Poor Mark! This is a classic case of ‘friendaphobia’," before summoning his assistant Frauke to bring his phone to show the Friend Radar feature on WeChat.
When Mark begins to sob, the therapist replies, "Ah, come on, Mark, don’t make me unfriend you too."
In another ad, the therapist is being confronted by lawyers sent by Mark to "stop [him] from prescribing WeChat", to which he says he should express his anger through animated stickers rather than lawsuits.
The campaign follows Facebook’s acquisition of WeChat’s primary rival in South Africa, WhatsApp, in a $19bn deal.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)