Publicis Omnicom merger called off: reactions from the industry
Media Week spoke to delegates at Brand Republic Group's Media360 conference about Omnicom and Publicis Groupe calling off their proposed $35 billion merger.
Tom Laranjo: managing director of Total Media
Speaking at the Brand Republic Group’s Media360 conference, Tom Laranjo, the managing director of independent agency Total Media, said he was "surprised, actually, at the timing of the release, but actually not so surprised with the outcome".
"I think there have been whispers of it for a while," he added.
Also at the conference, Sam Diamond, the head of brand and comms at Gumtree.com, said: "I was most interested to see that the merger didn't happen because of cultural differences.
"It just goes to show that when you build up a big empire like that, you have a very specific way of doing things, all the people are sailing on the same ship going in one direction; it's very difficult to combine two companies."
None of the executives from agencies that are part of big holding groups agreed to be interviewed by Media Week.
Video produced by Georgina Brazier and Joel Fothergill
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £36,000 - £44,000* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Campaign Planner - Internal Marketing Agency National Trust £27,916 - £32,500* per annum, Swindon, Wiltshire
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England