Publicis Omnicom merger called off: reactions from the industry
Media Week spoke to delegates at Brand Republic Group's Media360 conference about Omnicom and Publicis Groupe calling off their proposed $35 billion merger.
Tom Laranjo: managing director of Total Media
Speaking at the Brand Republic Group’s Media360 conference, Tom Laranjo, the managing director of independent agency Total Media, said he was "surprised, actually, at the timing of the release, but actually not so surprised with the outcome".
"I think there have been whispers of it for a while," he added.
Also at the conference, Sam Diamond, the head of brand and comms at Gumtree.com, said: "I was most interested to see that the merger didn't happen because of cultural differences.
"It just goes to show that when you build up a big empire like that, you have a very specific way of doing things, all the people are sailing on the same ship going in one direction; it's very difficult to combine two companies."
None of the executives from agencies that are part of big holding groups agreed to be interviewed by Media Week.
Video produced by Georgina Brazier and Joel Fothergill
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Partnership Manager Movember Competitive, Clerkenwell, London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London