McDonald's asks public to create products with 'burger builder' crowd-sourcing tool
McDonald's is asking the public to design a new burger from 80 ingredients as part of a crowd-sourcing competition that will see the winning burgers appear in 1,200 McDonald's restaurants.
McDonald's: unveils the Burger Builder website
A bespoke ‘Burger Builder’ website provides tools to allow people to design their own version with an option to share the burger online to gain public votes.
The 12 most popular burgers will be assessed by a judging panel consisting of England rugby star and 'Celebrity Masterchef' winner Phil Vickery, McDonald’s staff, an "independent expert" and a member of the public.
The judging panel will choose their five favourite burgers, which will appear in all McDonald’s branches over a five week period starting in October.
Alistair Macrow, senior vice-president and chief marketing officer at McDonald’s UK, said: "Customisation and digital engagement are becoming an integral part of how consumers interact with companies and we want to continue to innovate as a brand."
McDonald’s crowd-sourcing initiative comes the week after it set up its first Twitter page in the UK with a tweet promising "news, promotions and fun stuff".
The 80 different ingredients mean there are more than one million possible combinations with ingredients including guacamole, chorizo and pineapple chunks,.
The ‘Burger Builder’ tool was created by Razorfish and traffic will be driven to the site via a YouTube masthead takeover, pre-roll ads and digital display ads.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)