Asda unleashes mankini-clad gnome to differentiate brand from rivals
Asda hopes to achieve cut through in its latest salvo in the supermarket price war with an ad featuring a garden gnome wearing a green mankini.
In the ad, ‘Gavin the Gnome’ in his green mankini and flip-flops represents Asda. The other three big supermarkets are represented by more traditional gnomes.
'Great British Bake Off' host Mel Geidroych provides the voiceover, which claims the three competing supermarkets are all similar, whereas Asda is unlike the rest and wins on price.
Steve Smith, Asda’s chief customer officer, said: "We thought we’d hit a high with a disco dancing chick for Easter but we’ve loved bringing Gavin into the Asda family.
"He’s cool as a cucumber and we think he’s going to do a great job of communicating a serious message – that Asda will beat not match prices - in a really unique and fun way."
The ad was first aired during ITV’s Jeremy Kyle show and will also be aired during prime time slots including 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2'.
Supporitng social media activity will feature an #AsdaGnome hashtag.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)