Flybe hires easyJet marketer Martin Smith to lead turnaround plan
Flybe has recruited former BMI baby and Barclaycard marketer Martin Smith as its new marketing director, as part of the carrier's "turnaround" programme and its effort to revamp its customer offering.
Martin Smith: becomes Flybe's marketing director
Smith joins from his role as marketing consultant at easyJet, and replaces Simon Lilley, Flybe’s long-serving marketer who, in January, announced he was to leave the airline after 14 years.
Smith has been working at easyJet since 2011. He began his career with Future Publishing in the 1990s, before moving on to marketing roles with Talk Talk, Homeserve, Barclaycard and BMI baby.
Paul Simmons, Flybe's chief commercial officer, said: "We’re delighted to welcome Martin on board. He joins us as a highly experienced marketing professional with a proven track record of delivering innovative and exciting work.
"His is exactly the expertise we need as we continue to revamp our customer offering and continue on our journey to becoming Europe’s best regional airline."
Separately, former marketer Lilley has announced he is to join ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) as its director of sales and marketing.
Flybe’s last major marketing overhaul came in 2012, when it revealed a £9m brand repositioning, in an effort to distance itself from negative perceptions of the low-cost airline model.
The campaign, by ad agency Souk, encompassed TV, press, outdoor, radio and digital. It introduced the strap-line, ‘Making flying better.’
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)