Uber runs press ad on the day Cabbies prepare to strike
Uber, the luxury taxi company, has run a press ad claiming it is the brand "keeping London moving" on the day that London cab drivers are planning to strike, in protest against the taxi service.
Uber: runs press campaign on the day of the cab driver strike
The ad is headed, "Uber by name, Uber by nature". It reads, "With a state of the art app, a range of cars from the luxurious to the more practical and door-to-door pick ups at an affordable price, we're the car service that's keeping London moving, proving that choice is a beautiful thing."
London's black cab drivers are protesting from 2pm today against what they call a lack of regulation of the Uber car service.
Cabbies are unhappy that Uber's mobile booking app calculates taxi fares, which they claim is the equivalent of a taxi meter, a service that only black cabs can legally use in London.
London's cab drivers have already applied to the High Court on the issue, claiming that the service is the equivalent of Uber breaking the law.
Steve McNamara of the Licensed Taxi Drivers' Association, said: "We have nothing against competition but we feel that Transport for London has failed Londoners by allowing Uber to operate outside the law."
Uber is backed by companies including Google and Goldman Sachs. It operates in over 100 cities across 37 countries.
The London cabbies will be joined today by striking cab drivers in Rome, Paris, Berlin and Milan.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)