TweetDeck apologises for 'security issue' that causes garbled tweets
TweetDeck, the Twitter-owned app, has apologised to its users for a "security issue" that led to tens of thousands of users tweet a line of code that caused random pop-ups to appear on screens.
TweetDeck: apologises for 'security issue'
The service, which allows people to organise Twitter accounts, timelines and groups in one app, was forced to temporarily take its service offline yesterday when an XSS ("cross site scripting") security vulnerability was found.
The vulnerability could have allowed people to hack in to users' accounts.
TweetDeck first asked users to log out and back into the web app, to apply the "fix" it had formulated for the issue.
After the issue was not completely resolved, TweetDeck took its service offline, saying: "We've temporarily taken TweetDeck services down to assess today's earlier security issue. We'll update when services are back up."
It later tweeted: "We've verified our security fix and have turned TweetDeck services back on for all users. Sorry for any inconvenience."
No reports have emerged of people's personal information having been compromised, and Twitter has not asked its users to reset their passwords as a result of the security issue.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)