EE takes on Skype with trial of app-free Wi-Fi and 4G phone calls
EE is trialling live phone calls over Wi-Fi and 4G that will remove the need for an app such as Skype when making voice over internet protocol (VoIP) calls.
EE: Kevin Bacon stars in the brand's TV campaign
The telecoms firm claims the service will allow people to make calls with a higher quality and more reliability than "unmanaged VoIP services" from the user’s home, office, corporate or public Wi-Fi.
Calls will be accessible via the phone’s dialler in a development that removes the need for an app, while SMS services will also be made available through Wi-Fi.
The trial will launch this autumn and is aimed to allow people to make calls when they have no mobile network coverage.
Fotis Karonis, chief technology officer at EE, said: "The customer experience is seamless because it’s the same as making a network call and uses the normal call interface of the handset.
"This is a major part of our strategy to invest in giving customers the ability to make a call wherever they are, and we’re confident that this service can make a big difference to people in homes and large offices across the country, especially in the most rural areas, that don’t have mobile coverage."
A trial of allowing VoIP calls over 4G will begin in 2014 with plans for a full commercial launch next year, when EE claims its 4G network coverage will be accessible to 90% of the population.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London