Jaguar ad banned for glorifying speed and encouraging dangerous driving
Jaguar has been reprimanded by the ad watchdog for a series of ads for making speed the focus and encouraging motorists to drive irresponsibly.
An objection was raised to the ad after cars were shown driving at speed along a mountain road, accompanied by a voiceover stating, "seductive, uninterrupted lines that bring the purity of the design to life, increased performance and agility and a more connected, alive experience between driver and car."
Jaguar Land Rover defended the ad by claiming the footage of the cars on the open highway was filmed in Switzerland, on closed sections of road on the Sustenpass and the Grimselpass.
However, it claimed a caption on the ad making clear the roads were closed was accidentally omitted.
It later added a caption stating: "Filmed on closed roads with a professional driver. Do not attempt. Always obey local speed limits."
Jaguar’s attempts to claim the ads at no time demonstrated any dangerous driving were thrown out by the Advertising Standards Authority.
The ASA ruled that speed was the main message of the ads and the cars were shown driving in a dangerous manner by crossing over the lines on the road.
As a result, it banned the ads after concluding they were irresponsible and condoned dangerous driving.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...