Are we approaching the end of the Wonga story?
In the aftermath of the fake lawyer letters scandal and the resulting £2.5m compensation bill, Wonga's reputation is in tatters. In fact, its very existence is in jeopardy as an impending legal battle with regulators begins to form.
For many, including certain politicians and the church, these revelations have been met with gleeful delight.
Despite strong customer approval ratings and numerous awards, Wonga has never shaken off its vocal critics.
What’s wrong with Wonga?
Given a chance, the payday lender could table a strong case. It protects borrowers from loan sharks or losing possessions to pawn shops, and allows some to avoid extortionate late bank fees.
But, Wonga’s intentions and story have consistently been high-jacked, rightly or wrongly, by the naysayers.
A short animated film, from PRWeek and Electric Airwaves, delves into the Wonga story and asks "What Can They Do?". As it stands, another scandal might just finish it off.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)