Dave Buonaguidi to launch creative studio and school
Dave Buonaguidi, the co-founder of Karmarama who left the agency last week, is preparing to launch ACME-Studio, a company offering non-traditional creative services, in January 2015.
Buonaguidi: launching Gratis, a ‘creative training movement’
Buonaguidi, who is on gardening leave after announcing his resignation from Karmarama on 10 July, is also planning to open a free school to help encourage people from more diverse backgrounds to break into the industry.
The school, which will be called Gratis, is scheduled to take its first students in September 2015. Buonaguidi is setting up Gratis with Donald Fogarty and Adam Oldfield, the founders of the creative careers organisation FutureRising.
Gratis will be a "creative training movement" that will aim to increase diversity in the creative industries, which Buonaguidi says are hard to access owing to rising tuition fees and unpaid internships.
He added: "Education is not good enough. It’s too expensive, and the tutors are not good enough because a lot of them no longer work in the business and because the business moves so fast that they cannot teach the right things.
"The business is not representative of [our] country demographic and, by only attracting white middle classes, I believe we are missing out on a huge talent pool, not just in advertising."
Buonaguidi said the 18-month course would be similar to an "old-school apprentice scheme" for about 20 students. It will be funded by creative companies and based in London.
A six-month "boot camp" will be followed by intensive "on the job" learning.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)