CBS Outdoor acquires Van Wagner in $690m deal
Van Wagner, the outsize US poster company, has sold its billboard business to CBS Outdoor in a $690 million (£404 million) deal.
CBS Outdoor: acquires Van Wagner
The outdoor company will acquire an estimated 1100 large format billboard displays in 11 US states. The portfolio generated $206 million in ad revenue last year, according to CBS Outdoor.
Van Wagner will now concentrate on its sports and entertainment group, in addition to its airship aerial division.
Jeremy Male, the chief executive of CBS Outdoor, said: "We're very pleased to be announcing an exciting transaction regarding this high quality group of outdoor assets.
"It's a unique opportunity that aligns perfectly with our top-market growth strategy and will enhance the scale, quality, and depth of our portfolio which we believe will be great for our advertising partners."
CBS Outdoor Americas split from CBS Corporation to become fully independent in June this year. Male, formerly the chief executive of JCDecaux, UK and Northern Europe over 13 years, was appointed in September last year.
Richard Schaps, the chief executive officer of Van Wagner, said: "After having spent more than 40 years building Van Wagner's outdoor advertising business into a leading industry participant, I am delighted to be turning this division over to CBS Outdoor, a great organization with outstanding new leadership who can grow this business into the future."
Van Wagner had a short-lived UK operation that launched in 2000 headed by the former CIA Medianetwork business development director Kevin Shute. The company's operations were subsequently sold to Clear Channel in 2006.
CBS Outdoor International was split from the American operations after the investor Platinum Equity bought it at the end of last year. The international business rebranded as Exterion Media in January.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)