Jobs at Red Bee under threat as BBC production deal ends
Red Bee Media could be forced to cull some of the 70-plus people working on its BBC account after the corporation announced it was ending the exclusive production deal at the end of next year.
BBC: from 2016, services will be taken in-house or put to tender
A Red Bee Media spokeswoman said it was too early to talk about potential job losses but added that the company had begun discussions with the BBC in co-operation with the trade union Bectu and in line with Tupe regulations.
Campaignlive.co.uk revealed this week that the BBC would not renew its deal with Red Bee Media when it expires in December 2015. The BBC plans to bring some tasks in-house and open the rest to the market.
Philip Almond, the BBC’s director of marketing and audience, said: "We want to give all directors and production companies the opportunity to work with us, and to establish a new partnership with the commercial production industry."
Meanwhile, the Advertising Producers Association has welcomed the BBC’s decision to end the exclusive deal.
Steve Davies, the chief executive of the APA, which has protested against the Red Bee Media arrangement for many years, said: "We have consistently argued that the open market is what provides advertisers with the best work. It’s really a buyers’ market and people should enjoy that."
From 2016, the corporation will produce clip-based trails in-house and allow production companies to pitch for other services.
The BBC also confirmed that it was beginning the statutory review of its ad agency roster this month, putting Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R and Karmarama on alert.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire