Controversial e-cigarette ads have 'hurt' the industry, admits Blu boss
Controversial advertising by e-cigarette brands has "hurt the industry", according the boss of leading UK brand Blu.
VIP: e-cigarette maker's raunchy ad fell foul of the ASA
In an interview with City AM, Blu chief executive Jacob Fuller admitted that the attention-seeking nature of some e-cigarette brand marketing had affected consumers’ impression of the industry.
Earlier this year, an innuendo-laden TV ad for e-cigarette maker VIP became the sixth most-complained-about ad ever, with the Advertising Standards Authority banning it from broadcast before 11pm.
Meanwhile, only last week, the ASA banned a poster by e-cigarette company Nicofresh after complaints that it was offensive on the grounds of race and age. The billboard poster, featured an elderly white woman sitting on a sofa alongside a young black man, with the tagline: "No tobacco. No taboo."
Fuller agreed such advertising should be stamped out, but urged against the kind of regulation imposed on tobacco.
He said: "Some of our competitors have made ads which hurt the industry due to their bad taste.
"E-cigarettes are a product for over-18s and the advertising rules should reflect that, similar to the rules of alcohol and gambling.
"If you start regulating us like tobacco and stop allowing e-cigarettes to be advertised, then smokers won’t be educated, and the alternative for them is to continue to smoke."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London