Greggs gives lesson in Twitter crisis management after fake logo debacle
Greggs became victim to a viciously satirical version of its own logo yesterday, when Google searches for the baker displayed a fake tagline that read, "Providing shit to scum for over 70 years".
Greggs: responds to Google's search results
The debacle – thanks to a faulty Google SEO algorithm that meant the fake came up instead of the real slogan, "Always fresh. Always tasty" – took social media by storm, sparking much amusement from tweeters.
The hashtag #FixGreggs was quickly tagged to the issue, with the bakery chain dextrously taking control of the situation with quick-fire and humorous responses from its own Twitter handle.
User @samhesling1 tweeted: "Have you seen what shows up on your company logo when you google search Greggs?"
@GreggstheBakers Have you seen what shows up on your company logo when you google search Greggs?— Sam Hesling (@samhesling1) August 19, 2014
Greggs responded that it had.
@samhesling1 we certainly have! Praying to the google gods it gets fixed soon!— Greggs (@GreggstheBakers) August 19, 2014
Google apologised to Greggs with a tweet featuring a picture of Homer Simpson eating doughnuts while working at his nuclear power station, explaining "we’re on it. Throw in a sausage roll and we’ll get it done ASAP".
Greggs entirely entered the spirit of social banter, replying to Google with the offer of doughnuts and the words: "Hey @GoogleUK, fix it and they're yours!!!"
Google subsequently fixed the issue, leading Greggs to proclaim "WE LOVE YOU GOOGLE!!!!", while the bakery chain drew a line under the mix up with an image of the Google logo made from sausage rolls and the words, "Maybe those kind folks @GoogleUK could give us the doodle tomorrow?"
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...