Greenpeace campaign highlights Amazon and Twitter's use of 'dirty energy'
Greenpeace USA has launched a digital video campaign via its YouTube channel to put pressure on digital companies such as Amazon and Twitter to use renewable energy to power their data operations.
The 30-second video stars US singer-songwriter-comedian Reggie Watts, who sings: "There’s nothing clean about your internet stream, until you switch to green energy."
On-screen copy tells viewers: "We all benefit from a green powered internet".
The film directs users to a campaign website where people can sign a petition and read a report into those companies that are failing to use renewable energy, or at least failing to declare where it is sourced from, and those that are "leading the way".
A chart shows Apple, Google and Facebook are the "green internet innovators", IBM and Microsoft are "middle of the road: taking steps towards a greener internet", and that the likes of Amazon and Twitter are "stuck in the past", using "mostly dirty energy" and have "taken few steps or no steps to switch to renewables".
The campaign, created by Via Agency in Portland, Maine, will include social media advertising.
Dave Pomerantz, senior campaigner at Greenpeace, told AdAge: "Amazon faces pretty intense pressure from competitors who already have made these exact changes.
"When you store photos with Apple, it's powered by clean energy. That's a pretty powerful differentiator for Apple. Is Amazon going to lose all their customers over that? No, I don't think we're naïve enough to believe that. But they will lose some customers."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)