Macmillan defends hijacking Ice Bucket Challenge
Macmillan Cancer Support, the charity, has defended itself from accusations of "hijacking" the ALS Association's Ice Bucket Challenge craze, claiming it did not want to miss out on another social media phenomenon.
Macmillan Cancer Support: joins the Ice Bucket Challenge
Amanda Neylon, the head of digital at Macmillian, said the charity got behind the Ice Bucket Challenge, which asks participants to pour a bucket of iced water on their heads, because it was criticised for being too slow on the uptake for the #nomakeupselfie social media campaign in March, which raised millions of pounds for Cancer Research UK.
The challenge began in the US, where it raised money for the ALS Association to combat Lou Gehrig’s Disease – or motor neurone disease, as it is commonly known in the UK.
On missing out on the #nomakeupselfie campaign, Neylon said: "We were too slow – it was a big motivator to be much better the next time an opportunity came along.
"So, since #nomakeupselfie, I’d like to think that we’ve had some success with #tubestrike and #thatsmydad. We’re trying to be bolder, we’re listening to what’s going on all over the world, and we’re responding more quickly than we have in the past."
The charity said it started its own social media and search campaign for the ice bucket challenge as a response to its supporters, after noticing they were discussing it on social media and raising money for the charity by doing the challenge on their own accord.
However, Macmillan has come under fire for jumping on ALS Association’s bandwagon and hijacking its campaign, particularly because cancer charities have a much higher profile than those for rare conditions like motor neurone disease.
Macmillan is asking people to film themselves doing the Ice Bucket Challenge, posting it online and donating £3 to its cause by texting ICE to 70550.
People can also donate to the Motor Neurone Disease Association by texting ICED55 £5 – or any other amount – to 70070.
Many agencies and brands have got behind the challenge, including the Engine-owned Jam. Watch others here.
This article was first published on Campaignlive.co.uk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...