Ask Trevor: Am I being discriminated against because of my age?
Agony uncle and University of Westminster's visiting professor of PR Trevor Morris gives it to you straight.
Trevor Morris: PRWeek's agony uncle
I'm a senior account manager with several years' experience, and I'm seeking my next challenge. I'm interviewing, but although the feedback is positive, I'm "not quite right ... " for prospective employers. As I've been in the business for more than 15 years I'm starting to wonder if I'm considered too old for the roles I'm going for. How can I overcome this?
Let's be honest, if you have been in the industry for more than 15 years you are cracking on a bit. But don't despair - there are advantages to getting older.
Admittedly no-one will ever look to you for advice on fashion trends. Like me, you probably think Justin Timberlake makes rather good outdoor clothing. However, people do believe age brings wisdom and calmness. So make the most of what you have got.
Emphasise your ability to handle a crisis. You know no-one ever died of PR - a knowledge that eludes a lot of young PR people.
And talk up your 15 years' worth of connections - all of whom are now very senior (or dead).
However, if you have no connections, your 15 years'
experience is in fact one year's experience 15 times over and if you simply shout "don't panic, don't panic" in a crisis your kindly interviewers may actually mean "you are not quite right ... for PR".
Got a problem? Contact Trevor at email@example.com
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire