My biggest gaffe: believing my own hype
PLMR (Political Lobbying and Media Relations) founder Kevin Craig recounts his descent into hubris as he climbed the comms ladder.
I feel that my biggest gaffe is not a specific clanger around some execution of a task in the early days - I have lived through plenty of those. My biggest gaffe was an attitudinal one; a mindset that I allowed myself to develop briefly as I rose up the comms ranks.
I have been doing PR and lobbying for almost two decades, including stints at The Rowland Company and DLA Piper's public affairs practice.
But back in the mid-noughties, there was a period when I started to believe my own hype. I forgot the people who had helped me when I was on the way up.
I forgot to be grateful to those who had actually given me both the idea to become an entrepreneur and the confidence to pursue it.
I stopped being a great employer, and forgot the hopes and dreams of every person who worked in the organisation every day.
Flush with ever-increasing salaries I became arrogant -a bit greedy, in fact.
Hubris came to a head. I wasn't made partner at DLA Piper because despite being a great revenue earner, I was a poor manager.
But I was too cocky. I couldn't accept it and walked out as a result.
In retrospect, my attitude prevented me from being fully self-aware. The lessons I learned in that period have been the making of me. Once you relocate what got you there in the first place, you never lose it again.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Client Facing Project Manager Twist Recruitment £24000 - £27000 per annum + great benefits, City of London
- Midweight- senior Digital Project Manager Twist Recruitment £35000 - £55000 per annum + bonus, City of London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k (freelance & perm) Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- Digital Performance Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Social Account Director Dot-Gap £45k, Central London
- Digital Account Director - Leading Communications Agency Digital Gurus £43000 - £50000 Per Annum Up to £50K + Bens, London