Are appraisals a waste of time?
Agony uncle and University of Westminster's visiting professor of PR Trevor Morris gives it to you straight
Trevor Morris: PRWeek's agony uncle
How can I stop the appraisal system just becoming time-consuming and stressful?
Jolly difficult. Many appraisal systems are more about process than judgement. They achieve nothing that couldn’t be achieved with a rise, chat or p45.
As a basic principle, appraisees should never be surprised by what they are told at an appraisal – praise, advice and criticism shouldn’t be once-a-year events. An appraisal should be a confirmation of everything said over the preceding period, not an embarrassing period of self-flagellation, cod psychology or bullying.
And if an appraiser tells someone to improve or change, then the request should be doable. There is no point in telling someone to get taller… unless they want to look like Nicolas Sarkozy.
Got a problem? Contact Trevor at firstname.lastname@example.org
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1