Am I being pigeonholed in my current role?
Agony uncle and University of Westminster's visiting professor of PR Trevor Morris gives it to you straight
Trevor Morris: PRWeek's agony uncle
I’ve been with my employer for about seven years, and I’m looking for something new. I’m seeking to change careers within comms but many jobs are so specific in requirements that I feel I lag behind other candidates who have a more varied background on their CVs. Can you offer any advice on how to cross paths, while building on my experience to date?
What you have – hopefully – is depth of experience. While others have been jumping from job to job you have remained faithful, drawing deep from the well of PR understanding. Don’t let potential employers think that you are a boring, grumpy old stick-in-the mud who has been too frightened to change jobs.
Instead impress them with your commitment, trusted adviser status, upbeat personality and depth of PR knowledge. However, if you are a boring old stick-in-the mud then you might be better off staying in the mud.
Got a problem? Contact Trevor at firstname.lastname@example.org
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Creative Designer STI Group Salary will be commensurate with age and experience, Gillinghham