Top 10 creative Specsavers ads
After Specsavers quickly reacted to the footballer Luis Suárez biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a World Cup game with a tactical Twitter ad, Campaign takes a look at some of the optician's best ads.
Specsavers: 'sauna' ad from 2011
After Specsavers quickly reacted to the footballer Luis Suárez apparently biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini in a World Cup match through a comical Twitter tactical ad, we take a look at some of the optician’s best ads.
1. "Luis Suárez" Twitter campaign (June 2014)
The ad has been retweeted nearly 30,000 times since it launched six days ago.
2. "Barclaycard waterslide spoof" (November 2008)
The Specsavers in-house creative team created this viral sending up Barclaycard's "waterslide" ad.
3. "Specs effect" (March 2010)
Mimicking the Lynx "billions" ad from 2006, this Specsavers parody shows girls running with handbags and shopping bags to get to a man spraying himself with deodorant. However, when they reach him, he puts on a pair of "ugly" glasses and the women disperse.
The creative director Graham Daldry created the ad in-house.
4. "Shuttle" (May 2011)
The ad, created in-house, shows a space shuttle crew preparing to land then cuts to embarrassed-looking astronauts standing around a carousel with holidaymakers, waiting to retrieve their baggage after having accidentally landed at Luton Airport.
Jeff Stark directed the ad through Another Film Company. The creative director and copywriter on the ad was Daldry, and the deputy creative director and art director was Steve Loftus.
5. "Garage" free kids glasses (August 2010)
Specsavers launched a UK TV campaign for the optical retailer's range of kids' spectacles, timed to coincide with parents going shopping during the school holidays.
Daldry, the creative director, created the ad in-house with the creatives Simon Bougourd, Neil Brush, Michael Hutchinson and Aaron Scoones.
6. "Vet" (May 2013)
The ad shows a vet working on what he thinks is a cat, but is in fact a furry hat. Daldry, Richard James and Mark de la Rue created the spot in-house.
7. "Sauna" (October 2011)
Specsavers launched a TV ad starring Gordon Ramsay to promote its free varifocals lenses offer. The spot, created in-house, shows a man walking into what he thinks is a steam-filled sauna. However, when he takes off his towel, he realises that he has accidently stepped into a hotel kitchen.
The ad was written by Bougourd, art directed by Brush, and directed by Daniel Kleinman through Rattling Stick.
8. "Workout" (October 2013)
The ad takes place in a community centre hall. A work-out instructor arrives late to a class and begins jumping around and whipping the crowd into a state of excitement without realising that she has mistakenly wondered into a pensioners’ bingo game. Unperturbed, the old folks join in dancing to LMFAO’s Sexy And I Know It.
The work was created by the brand’s in-house team, Brush and Bougourd, and directed by Tim Bullock through Hungryman.
9. "Goal line technology" (June 2010)
Specsavers launched a reactive World Cup South Africa press campaign in 2010 referencing the goal that was disallowed during England's defeat by Germany at the last 16 knock-out stage.
10. "Olympics" (July 2012)
Specsavers took out a press ad based on the 2012 Olympic mix-up that took place when the wrong country's flag was displayed before a football match. The flag for South Korea was mistakenly displayed at a women's football match between North Korea and Colombia.
The Specsavers creatives Bougourd and Brush also conceived the 2012 ad in-house. The creative director was Daldry.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)