Hit or miss? Dacia mixes football and Twitter to deliver value message
Renault-owned discount car brand Dacia has been using its Twitter account to contribute to the national conversation about football with wry observations on value.
Dacia: Brand's UK Twitter account
Its tweets feature the hashtag #youdothemaths to tie in with its ongoing marketing campaign, raising awareness of its vehicle prices, that features the same phrase. Topics it has tackled include the gulf in transfer spending between Cardiff City FC and Manchester City FC, after the former surprisingly beat the latter.
How I see it
Joe Sinclair, UK creative director, Citizen
Wahey! As a LAD there are two things I'm interested in. Footy. And banter.
Recognising this, Dacia has looked to hijack transfer season gossip to start some conversations around value for money. After all, what right-thinking football fan wouldn’t want to discuss the price of Marouane Fellaini with a discount automotive brand?
It’s not so much that the @DaciaUK campaign smacks of a Route One attempt to interrupt a conversation it has little reason to be in. It’s more that its chat is pretty limp.
When Paddy Power hijacks sporting occasions, it’s expert, shareable and funny. Sadly, Dacia’s five tweets about Gareth Bale in two days wore pretty thin for me (it even posted the same tweet twice, just in case you didn’t ROFL the first time).
It’s not that Dacia can’t ever comment on football, but it needs to earn the right to be in the conversation first.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing Analyst Brand Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, Ipswich
- Account Director Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £50000 - £55000 per annum, London
- Digital Marketing Project Manager FMCG Connect c. £30,000 + excellent company benefits, Nottinghamshire
- HEAD OF ANALYTICS Harnham £100000 - £125000 per annum + bonus + benefits, London
- Email Marketing Specialist:- Fashion,Retail,Campaign,Analytics Creative Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London