Shetland Islands kicks off major brief for "prosperous future"
The Shetland Islands has launched a marcoms hunt worth up to £400,000 in an attempt to lure both tourists and new residents.
The Shetland Islands: Looking to draw tourists, business and new residents (Credit: Thinkstock)
Tender documents seen by PRWeek reveal that the brief covers PR, marketing and events and focuses on encouraging "trade, talent, investment and tourism" to help create "a secure and prosperous future". The work is currently handled by Shetlands-based charity the Shetland Amenity Trust.
The Islands lie off the north coast of Scotland and have a population of more than 20,000 people and an economy focused on fishing, tourism, oil and gas.
Douglas Irvine, executive manager of economic development for the Shetland Islands Council, said the brief could be worth up to £400,000 and would not be limited to targeting the UK.
"It’s got a very general focus," he said, "but the theme is we need to promote ourselves and attract visitors. The population is stable at the moment but if we have a downturn in a place like Shetland people leave, and we need to put forward Shetland as a viable community in which to live and work."
Likely areas of promotion for potential residents include the low crime rate and high standard of education and public services.
The island's cultural offer, heritage and food have also been highlighted in the tender document.
Pointing to public sector cuts on the island, Irvine added: "It’s about projecting a strong message for the place, and making sure jobs lost in the public sector are replaced by those in the private sector. Despite the cuts, promoting the islands has been deemed a priority activity."
The work is set to be awarded at the end of November, and start in March.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford
- Market Insight & Reporting Manager Michael Page Digital £42800 - £50300 per annum, London
- Senior Display, Social and Mobile Manager Michael Page Digital £75000 - £78000 per annum, Middlesex