Companies with influential communicators as CEOs outperform FTSE index
A survey by Aberfield Communications has found that eight out of the ten FTSE 100 companies with the most influential chief executives outperformed the rest of the index this year.
Most influential: Sainsbury's chief executive Justin King (picture: Tom Parkes)
The FTSE 100 rose by just 14.1 per cent in the period 2 January to 31 October 2013 but the share price of the ten companies with the most influential communicators as leaders rose by 34.3 per cent.
The result echoes the same survey last year, which found that while the FTSE 100 rose by 1.5 per cent the share price of the ten companies with the most influential communicator as leaders rose 9.8 per cent.
However, the identity of the most influential chief executive changed this year.
Sainsbury’s CEO Justin King, last year’s number two, was ranked as number one ahead of Unilever CEO Paul Polman, last year’s top dog.
Aberfield measures media coverage, annual reports, speech transcripts, video and social media addressing the communications activity during 2013 of each of the FTSE 100 chief executives.
|FTSE 100 CEOs: the ten most influential communicators|
|1||Justin King, Sainsbury||Paul Polman, Unilever|
|2||Paul Polman, Unilever||Justin King, Sainsbury|
|3||Carolyn McCall, easyJet||Ian Cheshire, Kingfisher|
|4||Sir Martin Sorrell, WPP||Sir Martin Sorrell, WPP|
|5||Angela Ahrendts, Burberry||Angela Ahrendts, Burberry|
|6||Ian Cheshire, Kingfisher||Dame Marjorie Scardino, Pearson|
|7||Lord Wolfson, Next||Willie Walsh, International Airlines Group|
|8||Antony Jenkins, Barclays||Henry Engelhardt, Admiral Group|
|9||Willie Walsh, International Airlines Group||Jeremy Darroch, BSkyB|
|10||Jeremy Darroch, BSkyB||Marc Bolland, Marks & Spencer|
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London