Whizz-Kidz' Rhiannon Hughes wins inaugural Doug Smith public affairs prize
Rhiannon Hughes, public affairs and PR manager at disabled children's charity Whizz-Kidz, has won the PRCA's inaugural Doug Smith prize for young public affairs professional of the year.
Winner: Rhiannon Hughes with her trophy and her Whizz-Kidz colleagues
Hughes was presented with the award and a £500 cheque tonight at the PRCA Public Affairs group's Christmas party, held at Weber Shandwick's offices.
The award was established in honour of Doug Smith, the former PRCA chairman and "lobbying legend" who died almost a year ago, and the event was attended by his widow.
Five entrants were shortlisted on the basis of a short essay about the future of public affairs and a supporting statement from a colleague, and had to answer questions from the judges.
The judges included Weber Shandwick account director Simon Pugh, who praised Hughes' essay for going beyond the assertion that the discipline needed to be more digital.
She also shone in the Q&A session, according to another judge, PLMR deputy MD Elin Twigge.
"She nailed the curveball questions," said Twigge.
Hughes, whose previous political experience includes volunteering on Ed Balls' Labour leadership campaign in 2010, was joined at the party by several of her Whizz-Kidz colleagues.
Among them was director of comms Pauline Hughes, who praised her namesake for having "transformed our public affairs" through initiatives such as an MP champion campaign, which has recruited 152 MPs to support its mission of helping disabled children fulfill their potential.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London