Meigan Terry joins Virgin Atlantic as director of comms
Virgin Atlantic Airways has appointed former BlackBerry comms chief Meigan Terry as director of comms.
Meigan Terry: joins as Virgin Atlantic prepares to celebrate 30th anniversary
Terry, who started in the role earlier this month, will oversee the airline's external and internal comms.
The role has been vacant for a year, since the departure of Greg Dawson to take up the role of European PR director at Samsung at the start of 2013.
Terry was most recently global vice-president of marketing for BlackBerry's messaging and social network service BBM. She has held a number of other comms roles at the smartphone company including vice-president of corporate comms for EMEA and APAC and head of global advocacy.
She was an associate director for Hill+Knowlton London before joining BlackBerry in 2005.
At Virgin Atlantic she will report to recently appointed CEO Craig Kreeger, who said: "This is a very exciting time for Virgin Atlantic as we are nearing our 30th anniversary and Meigan’s experience in building communication programmes that create engagement and advocacy for iconic brands, both internally and externally, will be an important part of our success going forward."
One senior PR figure with insight into Virgin Atlantic said that a key part of the role would be communicating the carrier's "unusual" positioning in the market.
"Virgin has been an innovator in the industry and very successful in challenging a country’s home carrier for long haul flights," they said, "and it will be key to ensure the media understand why this makes Virgin so different."
However, pointing to the completion of the purchase of a 49 per cent stake in Virgin Atlantic by Delta Airlines last year the source warned of the potential power wielded by the American company.
"One problem could be in Virgin losing its influence and independence, with a key challenge being how to work alongside a comms team at Delta that may want to start dictating things."
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA