Hit or Miss: JD Wetherspoon opens England's first motorway pub
The first pub at a motorway service station in England opened this week despite opposition from certain road safety charities that say it offers a "deadly temptation" to drivers.
The Hope & Champion: Controversial opening
Creating 120 jobs, JD Wetherspoon's The Hope & Champion is based at Beaconsfield Services on the M40.
How I See It
Tom Hargreaves, board director, Publicasity
Clearly this is a contentious decision from JD Wetherspoon and it must have expected a mixed reaction.
A brief delve into Twitter suggests just that… unsurprisingly, many people think it’s an irresponsible decision, but there are some who point out that pubs are often situated right next to motorway slip roads, so if a driver is determined to have an alcoholic drink, they don’t usually have to drive very far to find it.
It sounds like the launch of the pub was understated, as you might expect, with just a brief mention on the day from the Wetherspoon Twitter feed, and it has responded to any criticism by saying: "If you run pubs well and in a responsible manner then people act accordingly."
This is where I think it starts losing the argument. The idea that if The Hope & Champion is "well run" this will somehow ensure that no one will ever be tempted to pull in, have a few pints after a stressful day at work and then get straight back on to the M40 to continue their journey home is clearly a flawed one. It needs to take some of the responsibility back.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire