PokerStars hires W and targets arts in effort to widen appeal in UK
Global online gambling powerhouse PokerStars has brought in W as it seeks to attract new players by forging stronger links with the arts, PRWeek understands.
PokerStars: looking to broaden appeal (Credit: Thinkstock)
W has been brought on board by the market leader following a pitch for a new brief thought to revolve around growing its player base in the UK.
A source close to the pitch process said the work would revolve around "repositioning it as a lifestyle brand, and broadening the appeal beyond its traditional market".
"This would take it into areas like music, the arts and a wider lifestyle space," they said, "and things more interesting to a wider audience than the traditional poker player."
The brief is also thought to include PokerStars stablemate Full Tilt Poker, both of which are owned by The Rational Group.
Industry estimates put the brands' share of online poker traffic at around 55 per cent.
However, the UK online poker sector is set to face scrutiny over the risk of addiction with a government-commissioned study into fixed-odds betting terminals apparently set to expand to include online gambling.
"This is less about trampling on competition and more about uplifting the whole category through getting more numbers into the online poker space," the source added.
Both W, which has worked with Poker Stars previously, and The Rational Group declined to comment.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London