Pinterest to launch 'tasteful' ads with promoted pins
Pinterest has revealed it will begin running "tasteful" advertising in the form of promoted posts as it seeks to monetise its service.
Pinterest: set to run ads
Ben Silbermann, chief executive and co-founder of Pinterest, said in a blog post that the service would avoid the temptation of running "flashy banner ads or pop-up ads".
It will begin by beta testing ads by promoting certain "pins" from a "select group of businesses", with initial ads being run free of charge as Pinterest seeks feedback from users.
Testing will feature promoted pins appearing in a search-results and category feeds. Silbermann said an example of an ad would be a pin for a Darth Vader outfit from a costume shop promoted in a search for "Halloween".
It has long been expected that Pinterest would introducing advertising to its service, because it has no other revenue stream.
However, it will need to tread carefully to avoid a backlash from users, after photo-sharing site Instagram was forced into a U-turn after changing its terms and conditions to monetise its service.
Silbermann said: "I know some of you may be thinking, 'Oh great…here come the banner ads.' But we're determined to not let that happen."
Pinterest is promising advertising will be transparent with all promoted posts clearly labelled as advertising.
Silbermann also claims promoted posts will be relevant because they will be "about stuff you’re actually interested in, like a delicious recipe, or a jacket that’s your style".
News comes shortly after Pinterest hired its first ever member of staff in the UK through the appointment of Sarah Bush as its UK country manager.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior CRM Planner Direct Recruitment £80,000 - £95,000, Central London
- Planner Direct Recruitment Up to 60k plus benefits, Central London
- Junior Recruitment Consultant, Insight Team Hasson Associates £Competitive , Central London
- UK Digital Lead Hasson Associates £70,000 - £83,000, Central London