Absolute Radio wins NFL rights
Absolute Radio has won exclusive rights to broadcast commentary on the NFL American football league and will broadcast a total of 23 games across the season, including the Super Bowl.
NFL: Absolute Radio to broadcast game commentaries on Sunday nights
The commentary will be broadcast every Sunday night between 9pm and midnight on digital station Absolute Radio 90s. The first game will be the Green Bay Packers against the San Francisco 49ers this Sunday 8 September.
Absolute Radio will also broadcast commentary on both International Series games from Wembley Stadium on 29 September and 27 October, as well as the Super Bowl, including the half-time show, in February 2014.
Adam Hunt, a broadcaster for Fox, Sky Sports and TalkSport, will front the show with Darren Fletcher of BT Sport and BBC Radio 5 Live, joining him for the Super Bowl and Wembley games.
This will be the first time advertisers have been able to partner with NFL commentary on UK commercial radio. The live shows will be supported by a digital hub on Absolute Radio's website and social media.
Paul Sylvester, the head of presentation at Absolute Radio, said: "American Football's popularity in the UK is growing incredibly quickly, especially amongst our listeners and we're pleased to be bringing it to a new audience.
"The success of the award-winning Rock 'N' Roll Football shows our listeners' passion for football and we're confident they'll enjoy Barclays Premier League on Saturdays and NFL on Sundays."
In April, Absolute Radio, alongside TalkSport, retained its audio rights to broadcast Premier League matches on UK radio for another three years, taking it to the end of the 2015-16 season.
At the end of July, Bauer Media confirmed it had agreed to buy Absolute Radio. The deal is subject to regulatory approval.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Account Manager / Executive - Temporary Freelance Adam Recruitment £100 - £150 per day + doe, Manchester
- Senior Production Manager/ Production Director Premier Media £45,000 - £60,000, London
- Mid-Senior Planner | £50-70K Dynamic New Alliances £50000 - £70000 per annum + Excellent Package, City of London