Watch: AMV BBDO's first ads for Dixons
Currys & PC World has launched its first ad campaign created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, a World Cup-focused ad campaign featuring men making up pretend reasons to buy a new TV.
The three 30-second ads are based on the idea that couples try to cleverly manipulate each other when one wants to buy an expensive product such as a TV for their own personal enjoyment. The campaign breaks today.
The films feature men making clumsy attempts to persuade their wives and girlfriends to agree to a TV upgrade ahead of the Fifa World Cup, by suggesting their intentions are nothing to do with the football event.
AMV BBDO won the £46.8 million account for Currys & PC World-owner Dixons Retail in January from M&C Saatchi. Both Dixons and AMV BBDO have called the ads a "step change" in the retailer’s marketing approach.
In one of the ads, a man on a date with his partner tells her he would like a new TV to let her watch "that castle programme that you love".
In another, a father describes to his daughter how wonderful it would be to see documentaries about penguins on a new TV, but his wife can tell that he is really interested in watching the football.
The campaign aims to promote Currys & PC World’s range of HD and Ultra HD smart TVs. It is running until June, and includes a radio partnership with TalkSport.
Katie Bickerstaffe, the chief executive of Dixons Retail UK & Ireland, said: "The new creative marks a step change for our business in the way we talk about our brand and products to our customers.
"This summer will see an unprecedented amount of football action, which we know many of our customers are deeply passionate about. With these ads we want to tap into that emotion, letting our customers know we are the destination for televisions and a host of other tech upgrades ahead of this summer’s big football tournament."
The copywriter for the TV ads at AMV BBDO was Zac Ellis and the art director was Rich Littler.
The video ads will be hosted on a "hub" on Currys & PC World websites, as well as on YouTube. The hub also features an online buyers' guide film featuring Sky Sports’ 'Fantasy Football' presenter John 'Fenners' Fendley, who looks at what questions consumers should ask when buying a new TV.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)