Government readies 'Movember-style' anti-smoking campaign
The government has unveiled the details of Stoptober, the first ever mass quit smoking marketing campaign, which attempts to emulate the popularity of Movember.
Movember is an initiative in aid of The Prostate Cancer Charity, which encourages men to grow moustaches in November.
As first revealed by Marketing, Stoptober will take place from 1 October and run for 28 days with the aim of encouraging British smokers to kick the habit. It is backed by the British Heart Foundation and Cancer Research UK.
According to the Department of Health, research shows those who stop smoking for 28 days are five times more likely to stay smokefree.
It will be backed TV and radio advertising which goes live today (Monday 10 September), plus roadshows featuring a giant ‘Stoptober wheel’ around the country. A free Stoptober app and updates on the Smokefree Facebook page also form part of the activity.
The campaign is also supported by brands including John Lewis, Next, Unilever and Morrisons who will be encouraging both staff and members of the public to get on board.
DH will reveal a number of celebrity backers nearer the full consumer launch in October.
Sheila Mitchell, the deputy director of marketing at DH, said: "We looked at Movember and thought it was clever so we’ve tried to create a point in time for a quitting attempt."
<a href="https://twitter.com/gemma_charles" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false" data-size="large">Follow @gemma_charles</a>
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...