Culture Secretary promises to be 'cheerleader' for marketing industry
Maria Miller, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, has promised to be a "cheerleader" for the advertising industry, following the revelation that marketing generates £100bn of the UK's GDP.
Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport Maria Miller
Speaking to an audience of media and marketing professionals at the Advertising Association’s Lead Summit, Miller said: "Take it from me, Government is looking for ways to help industry grow."
"I am absolutely proud of the advertising industry in this country, the impact it has on our economy and our reputation abroad. I am determined to be its cheerleader," the minister added.
Miller, a former Texaco marketer and senior executive at ad agency Grey, said advertising had a key role to play in bringing the UK economy back into growth. She referred to the headline figures unveiled in the Advertising Association/Deloitte report, ‘Advertising Pays’, as "eye popping".
The report found that £16bn annual ad expenditure adds £100bn to the UK GDP.
Miller praised advertising as a "driver of investment, tourism and growth". She also called on the industry to help unlock the economic recovery by providing more support for SMEs.
'ADVERTISING PAYS' – IN NUMBERS
- £100bn impact on total UK GDP - £1 in advertising spend generates £6 for the UK economy.
- £7bn in incremental benefit to UK e-commerce
- 550,000 jobs supported by £16bn annual advertising revenues
- £5bn value of internet services available free to consumers - search, social media, messaging (Source: Boston Consulting Group)
- £2bn in agency service exports
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...