Mars pledges to eradicate emissions by 2040
Mars is ramping up its corporate social responsibility (CSR) drive by overhauling its website to push its five "principles in action", which include a commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to zero.
Maltesers: set to be Mars' first Fairtrade certified brand
The confectionary giant behind the brands Skittels, Galaxy and Snickers, among others, is committing to eradicate greenhouse gas emissions from all its factories and offices by 2040 without the use of carbon offsets and regardless of business growth.
As part of a health and nutrition drive, Mars already has a global commitment to only advertise food, snack and confectionary products to people over the age of 12.
Details of the company's full marketing code will be hosted on the updated Mars.com website.
CSR is becoming an increasingly important part of the running of global businesses, as rival companies look to outdo each other with bold green strategies.
Mars is also committing to sustainable sources policies across a range of essential raw materials ranging from coffee and tea to rice, fish, cocoa and palm oil.
Its commitment follows Mars' disclosure that Maltesers would be the company's first Fairtrade certified brand as part of commitment to sustainably source cocoa.
Mars president and chief executive Paul S Michaels said: "In some arenas, we are making good progress, in others, like cocoa sustainability, we have more work to do."
Mars' five "principles in action" are quality, responsibility, mutuality, efficiency and freedom.
Follow Matthew Chapman on Twitter @MattChapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)