Editor's comment: Welcome - Sony Mobile launch adopts Bravia ethos
Try as I might, it's a struggle to recall any marketing from the 10-year Sony Ericsson era. Compare that with the creative and commercial triumph of the Sony Bravia 'Paint,' 'Balls' and 'Play-doh' ads.
Now that Sony's absorption of Ericsson's handset business is complete, it is capitalising on its single status with a branding campaign (see page 6). The stakes for Sony couldn't be higher, including making sure that 'when consumers think about smartphones, they realise Sony has something to offer', as its UK marketing director puts it.
So which school of advertising will Sony tap into? A preview of 'Made of imagination' confirms it is adopting the Bravia ads' creative ethos, hiring the best animators money can buy.
If Sony gets its mobile brand strategy right - its entertainment credentials are unsurpassed by rivals - it won't be the first tech brand to have its fortunes revived by this most dynamic of categories. Think: Samsung.
Outmanoeuvring the mid-market squeeze
Are 'mid' and 'market' such dirty words in a downturn? Consumers, we're told, prioritise more harshly when money is tight, and move to either ends of the market scale.
In reality, there is no one brand strategy response. Some FMCG companies cope by launching premium brands (page 30) while others, such as cosmetics giant Revlon (page 26), revel in selling affordable, yet high-quality products.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...