The Fonz resurrected to star in Citroen C3 ad
LONDON - 'Happy Days' character The Fonz, who was the epitome of cool for people who never really grasped the concept, is to appear in a new ad for Citroen, a car he would never have been seen dead in.
The £1m TV ad campaign, which was created by Euro RSCG London, mixes actual footage of the show with digitally manipulated shots showing The Fonz, played by Henry Winkler, driving Citroen's C3 model.
The ad breaks on Monday and also features other characters from 'Happy Days', including the decidedly uncool Cunningham family. However, a notable absence from the ad is the show's pivotal character Richie Cunningham, who was played by Ron Howard.
Perhaps this is unsurprising given that Howard now has a successful career directing Hollywood films such as 'A Beautiful Mind' and 'The Da Vinci Code'.
In the Citroen ad, Fonzie takes the C3 for a drive around locations resembling those in the original series, such as Arnold's Diner and a drive-in cinema.
The original heads of the characters have been superimposed on to the bodies of modern actors using digital technology.
Citroen's advertising is fast building a reputation for innovative use of computer-generated imagery. Last year, it launched a TV ad that showed a Transformer-style version of its C4 model dancing like Justin Timberlake.
'Happy Days' ran from 1974 to 1980 and presented viewers with an idealised version of small-town America in the 1950s.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...