Whitbread reports slowdown in sales
Costa Coffee and Premier Inn owner Whitbread has reported a slowing down in its like-for-like sales increase, after it was hit by customers shying away from Its London hotels.
Jim Slater: managing director of Whitbread-owned Costa Coffee Enterprises
Whitbread today (13 December) updated the market on its trading performance in the 13 weeks to 1 December.
The company has been one of the strong performers during the recession, as consumers opted to stay in their hotels to save cash, and favoured their coffees.
However, its latest trading update reveals a slow down in sales. Like-for-like sales at Premier Inn grew by 2.6% in the 13 weeks, compared to 4.3% in the 39 previous weeks.
Costa Coffee, which recently unveiled a restructure of its operations, reported a rise in sales of 3.8% in the 13 weeks, compared to 5.6% in the 39 previous weeks.
Andrew Harrison, chief executive of Whitbread, said: "As we said at the half year, trading month by month continues to be variable in a challenging consumer environment. Within the total hotel market, industry data shows that revpar (revenue per room) growth in London and the provinces has virtually disappeared.
Nevertheless, Premier Inn continues to win share in both markets. Restaurants have responded positively to the actions we are taking to improve performance. Costa has continued its good growth both in terms of like-for-like sales and store numbers."
In October, Whitbread disclosed that the brand positioning and advertising for Beefeater Grill, Brewers Fayre and Table Table is under review, led by David Murdin, Whitbread's restaurant marketing director.
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...