My Secret Work Weapon: Show no fear when it comes to change - it's inevitable
I have a mantra that my father told me when I was a child: 'Embrace change, because it's coming anyway.'
Jan Gooding, Global marketing director, Aviva
At the time, I was startled by it, because when you're little, continuity is incredibly important to you.
I was nine and we lived in the Tropics; he said it was because our house had been struck by lightning and burned down, which was shattering to a nine-year-old.
I've found it an incredibly helpful mantra because understanding the inevitability, as well as the positive nature, of change - if you can see it as a natural part of life, ride the wave of it and not be afraid - is a grounding thought.
Brands are all about consistency, but underneath that, there is evolution. It makes me feel settled about the changing economic position, attitude of customers, media and competitor sets and to think constructively about the future.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Copywriter fishtank 25k to 40k per year GBP, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Head of Marketing fishtank 45k to 60k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...