Commercial Director (includes Sales, Marketing and Fundraising)
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Purpose and Scope
To lead the sales, marketing and fundraising team for Age UK Norfolk. This role will take responsibility and be accountable to the CEO for setting, in conjunction with the senior management team, all the targets and be accountable for achieving all commercial and fundraising targets and activities.
They will also be responsible for leading the internal communications and advising the CEO with regards to the organisation’s communications needs with all stakeholders including the Trustees.
- Work with the CEO, relevant trustee’s sub-committees and senior management colleagues to lead the commercial and fundraising strategic direction.
- To manage a team of initially 4-5 staff working within the commercial and fundraising functions delivering circa £2.8m of income;
- £1.7m of Norfolk County Council service contracts
- £500k of private respite, day care and home support and care
- £210k of grants
- £180k of donations
- Lead the commercial innovation and development of the Age UK Norfolk Care social enterprises including respite care, day care, home support and care, care home finder and any other privately revenue generating activities.
- To work with the CEO and senior colleagues and engage in the commercial contract negotiations with Norfolk County Council for all services.
- To lead the development of fundraising activity and increase revenue from individual donors, trusts, foundations and grant giving bodies.
- To lead the strategic direction for any Age UK Norfolk retail proposition.
- To work in collaboration where appropriate with Age UK Norwich and other Age UK partners to maximise revenue or share costs and risks.
- To work with the Chief Executive and Trustees in the development of the marketing and sales of the core ancillary services such as insurance, products and other utilities.
- To develop a CRM and customer centric data base to enhance efficiencies and effectiveness in the customer communications, marketing, sales and fundraising.
- To work with other Age UK partners to develop ‘best practise’ marketing, sales and fundraising activities and deploy them in Norfolk.
- 2. Competencies
- Degree level and highly numerateIdeally with CIM or IDM qualifications in digital or direct marketing
- senior management and lead discussions about the commercial direction of the organisation
- Senior Marketing expertise covering communications, pricing, distribution and service development/New product development
- Detailed capability in direct and digital marketing with a basic understanding of data base driven marketing
- Consumer service development and innovation
- Ability to do difficult contract negotiation either as a supplier or as a contractor whilst maintaining good relationships
- Excellent people skills with a friendly approachable style.
- The ability to be self motivated and flexible and use own initiative.
- Ability to communicate confidently with people.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage own workload.
- Proven experience in marketing
- Proven experience in sales
- Proven experience in design and website management
- Experience of negotiating contracts of £100,000 - £300,000
- Experience of call centre outsourcing, lead tracking, out bound calling, in bound calling.
- Sales (field and telesales) and customer service expertise (ideally in a leadership role no matter how small the team)
- Retail marketing experience either from a FMCG point of view or within a retailer or an online shop
- Experience of working alongside or with a fundraising team with either legacy, trusts and foundations or corporate donors
- Experience of internal communications including newletters, AGM’sExperience of working with a national brand and ideally with local marketing or franchise experience