Desmond halves price of OK! to 99p
Richard Desmond's Northern & Shell is halving the cover price of its flagship celebrity magazine OK! to 99p, as it continues its strategy of price cuts across selected titles.
OK!: Desmond slashes cover price
The move by Desmond means that OK! will sell for half the price of Hello magazine, priced at £2.
The 99p priced OK! is now on sale in newsagents. Hello is thought to have no plans to cut its own cover price.
A spokesperson for the National Federation of Retail Newsagents (NFRN), the trade body for independent newsagents, said she believed the slashing of the OK! cover price is likely to be long-term.
OK! suffered a double-digit year-on-year fall in the latest round of circulations figures.
In the final six months of 2011, OK! registered an average weekly circulation of 388,472, down 13.9% on the year, and down 17.9% on the period.
By comparison, Hello! reported an average weekly circulation of 373,266, down 8% on the year, and down 9.7% on the period.
The price-slashing of OK! mirrors a similar move by Desmond's Sunday tabloid newspaper, which has halved its cover price from £1 to 50p.
Desmond slashed the price of the Daily Star Sunday to match the arrival of Rupert Murdoch's 50p Daily Star Sunday.
Northern & Shell said: "With some great exclusive wedding issues coming up and the commemorative issues for the Royal anniversaries in April and June we are looking at an outstanding year."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Freelance Digital Designer - Needed Vitamin Talent £250 -300 day rate, London - Central
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...