Google expands TrueView skippable ads to mobile
Google has started rolling out its skippable ad format TrueView to YouTube on mobile, as it moves to capitalise on the upsurge of consumers streaming video on their devices.
TrueView: Google extends skippable ad format to YouTube on mobile
TrueView, which launched in 2010, offers users the option of skipping pre-roll advertising after five seconds, with advertisers not having to pay for the slot if the user decides not to watch it. The idea is that this offers greater incentive to produce ads that engage consumers.
Google, which has been running a trial on the ad format on mobile, said that early indications are that users engage with the ads in the same way as they do on desktop.
According to a Google spokeswoman, TrueView is one of YouTube's most successful ad formats to date and 65% of all video ads on YouTube are TrueView skippable ads.
Other mobile ads YouTube already offers include Promoted video ads, which sit at the top of the video search results of YouTube’s mobile platform; mobile roadblocks which are masthead ads, and customised mobile brand channels.
The move comes as advertisers are looking for more creative ad formats for mobile that will not impinge on user experience, given the smaller screen size. This is particularly the case in social media, where consumers are less used to being served advertising.
Both Twitter and Facebook have yet to crack mobile advertising, with Twitter trialling ads in users' timelines last year, while Facebook started selling mobile ads that appear in users’ newsfeeds earlier this year.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT MANAGER - Integrated Shoreditch Agency - Financial Services - £30-38k Judi Patton £30k-38k, Shoreditch, London
- Head of Inbound (SEO and Content) dmpeople Between £60,000 and £80,000 plus bonus and benefits, London
- Regional Shopper & Market Insights Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, Asia
- International Trade Planning Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 per annum, London