Google expands TrueView skippable ads to mobile
Google has started rolling out its skippable ad format TrueView to YouTube on mobile, as it moves to capitalise on the upsurge of consumers streaming video on their devices.
TrueView: Google extends skippable ad format to YouTube on mobile
TrueView, which launched in 2010, offers users the option of skipping pre-roll advertising after five seconds, with advertisers not having to pay for the slot if the user decides not to watch it. The idea is that this offers greater incentive to produce ads that engage consumers.
Google, which has been running a trial on the ad format on mobile, said that early indications are that users engage with the ads in the same way as they do on desktop.
According to a Google spokeswoman, TrueView is one of YouTube's most successful ad formats to date and 65% of all video ads on YouTube are TrueView skippable ads.
Other mobile ads YouTube already offers include Promoted video ads, which sit at the top of the video search results of YouTube’s mobile platform; mobile roadblocks which are masthead ads, and customised mobile brand channels.
The move comes as advertisers are looking for more creative ad formats for mobile that will not impinge on user experience, given the smaller screen size. This is particularly the case in social media, where consumers are less used to being served advertising.
Both Twitter and Facebook have yet to crack mobile advertising, with Twitter trialling ads in users' timelines last year, while Facebook started selling mobile ads that appear in users’ newsfeeds earlier this year.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...