Jubilee and Euro 2012 drive better than expected Q2 adspend
UK adspend grew 3.8% year on year in the second quarter of 2012, beating forecasts by nearly 1%, according to data from the Advertising Association (AA) and Warc.
Tim Lefroy: the AA’s chief executive
The 3.8% adspend growth, which does not include direct mail, beats earlier forecasts by 0.9%.
The AA/Warc Expenditure Report attributed the surge – £4.2bn including direct mail spend – to the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Euro 2012 and advertisers moving budgets from Q3 because of the London Olympics.
However, given the global economic outlook, predictions for the rest of 2012 and 2013 are less positive, although ad expenditure is still expected to grow - by 2.1% in 2012 and 4.1% in 2013 (excluding direct mail).
In terms of media, cinema experienced the biggest hike in adspend in Q2, up 23.9% year on year followed by internet (14.8%), radio (9.4%), out-of-home (9.9%) and TV (4.4%).
Tim Lefroy, the AA’s chief executive, said: "Advertising continues to enjoy solid growth prospects. It remains a potent tool for boosting consumer spending and getting money flowing round the economy again."
Suzy Young, Warc’s data editor, said: "The forecast for UK adspend strengthens in 2013 as inflation subsides and real disposable income increases for the first time since the financial crisis."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...