NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun on Sunday falls below 2m mark in December
The Sun on Sunday has fallen below the two million circulation mark for the first time, sinking 6% between November and December, and losing 1.3 million from its headline circulation since its 2012 launch.
Sun on Sunday: falls below two million mark
The 50p Sun on Sunday reported a circulation of 1,886,739 in December, down 6.10% on November. All the Sunday newspaper titles were down on the previous month, with the red-tops suffering the worse in the market, down 4.02%.
The Sun on Sunday's debut circulation figure in 2012 was 3,213,613. Its second audited figure was 2,426,894. Such a big loss to its headline circulation in December will be a concern to executives at the Sun On Sunday, which was launched as a replacement for the News of the World. The weekday issue of The Sun registered a circulation of 2,227,809 in December.
Across the rest of the Sunday tabloid market, the Daily Star Sunday was down 2.04% to 360,747. The Sunday Mirror was down 1.15% to 1,024,543 and the Sunday People was down 3.86% to 428,406.
Across the mid-market titles, The Sunday Express got the upperhand on its rival the Daily Mail, and fell just 1.60% compared to The Mail on Sunday which was down 2.6%.
The worse performer across the Sunday quality market was The Observer, which fell 2.26% to 230,833, although the rest of the Sunday quality market was also down on the previous month.
Full figures for December 2012 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)AUTOFEED INTERACTIVE DATA Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)