Evening Standard's Dispossessed Fund smashes £10m barrier
The London Evening Standard achieved a milestone this week by breaking all previous records for a newspaper-created charity.
Evening Standard: newspaper's Dispossessed Fund raises £10.41m
The newspaper brand's Dispossessed Fund, which strives to fight poverty in London, has raised £10.41m for struggling families across the capital through individual donations, Government funding and the Big Lottery donation.
The record figure was reached after Comic Relief pledged a £1m donation to the cause, firmly establishing The Dispossessed Fund at the forefront of newspaper-created charity.
The Fund was established in July 2010 and works with marginalised children and their families in London. Since its launch, grants for £4.57m have been given out to 649 groups.
David Cohen, campaigns editor of the London Evening Standard, said: "We have smashed our original target of £1m set just three years ago and I'm sure we will see the charity go from strength to strength.
"Here at the London Evening Standard, we pride ourselves on our campaigns and it's fantastic to see the Dispossessed Fund helping thousands of Londoners during this current economic climate."
Despite being in the grip of the worst economic recession in a lifetime at the time, The Dispossessed Fund was established by the publisher in an attempt to redress the crime that, in the richest capital in Europe, almost half its children live below the poverty line.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager: £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London