Telegraph launches paywall
Telegraph Media Group has introduced a metered paywall for its website for the Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph, joining the FT and The Times as major British newspapers asking readers to pay for their content.
Telegraph: launches paywall
The move follows the launch of a paywall on its international site in November 2012. Like the original New York Times paywall The Telegraph will offer readers 20 stories for free each month before they hit the paywall.
Readers are being offered a number of subscription packages including 'The Telegraph Web Pack', which offers unlimited access to the Telegraph’s website, plus access to its apps, for £1.99 per month or £20 per year.
Also on offer is the full Digital Pack, for £9.99 a month or £99 per year. This additionally includes access to The Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph newspapers on tablet devices, together with loyalty club membership.
With both packages, readers will be offered a one month free trial before they are asked to subscribe.
The introduction of the paywall follows news that The Telegraph Group is to cut as many as 80 jobs and create 50 new digital ones as part of a major restructure at the paper that see it pursue a digital first strategy.
Chief executive, Murdoch MacLennan, called the revamp a "root-and-branch change in the way we function". He said to that end the Telegraph would be "merged into one unified operation, serving digital and print products on a 24/7 basis".
Today, Tony Gallagher, editor of The Daily Telegraph said that The Telegraph intended "to unveil a number of compelling digital products for our loyal subscribers in the months ahead".
Graham Horner, marketing director, TMG said the step marked the next stage in our subscription strategy.
"Our priority is always to deliver choice and value to our customers; the continual evolution of our subscription packages ensures that we deliver on this promise."
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Business Director Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum, London