Hamilton expected to be face of Mercedes advertising
Lewis Hamilton is expected to become the face of Mercedes advertising after signing a three -year deal to drive for the Mercedes Formula One (F1) today.
Lewis Hamilton: 2008 F1 world champion signs for Mercedes-Benz from McLaren
Mercedes announced details of the deal the 2008 F1 world champion today, which takes affect with from the begining of the 2013 F1 season.
It comes after Mercedes-Benz signed a new commercial agreement with F1's commercial rights holders, which guarantees the team's long-term commitment to the sport.
Hamilton moved to Mercedes from the McLaren team, which has announced that Mexican Sergio Perez will be Hamilton’s replacement for next season.
One contractual difference between Hamilton's deals with Mercedes and McLaren, is that Hamilton was allowed only one personal sponsor – Reebok – by McLaren. His other marketing opportunities were restricted to McLaren sponsors such as Santander and Vodafone.
At Mercedes, his contract gives him a lot more freedom and he will be allowed a larger portfolio of sponsors.
According to Rupert Pratt, managing partner at the sponsorship agency, Generate Sponsorship, this contractual difference would have been crucial to Hamilton jumping ship.
Pratt said: "At McLaren, Hamilton didn't control his own image rights. Now he does at Mercedes, so this means he can sign up for other sponsors.
"I also think Hamilton will become the face of Mercede's car marketing."
Pratt pointed to the 27-year-old Hamilton’s relative youth and global reputation as crucial to his marketability.
In the past, Mercedes has focused more on below-the-line marketing and dealership activity, than major above-the-line activity, in showcasing its F1 credentials.
Mercedes was unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- PR SAM-AD Financial Services, £33-35k #PR Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment GBP33000 - GBP55000 per annum, Benefits: benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...