David Zolkwer, creative director, Jack Morton Worldwide
WHY Zolkwer created and choreographed London’s New Year’s Eve spectacular. It is the ninth successive year that Jack Morton Worldwide has produced the event.
HOW Zolkwer says: "Beyond the obvious need to deliver spectacular entertainment, our strategy has always been to ensure that we create something that exudes and celebrates the ‘London’ experience. And something that works for the live audience but also, critically, for our massive broadcast audience – we’re designing for the cameras. That means exploiting iconic geography, architecture and music to create a show that is uniquely of its time and place. These days, the soundtrack in particular serves to express the London ‘brand’ to the extent that what works so well for us simply wouldn’t make sense anywhere else – we try to avoid anything generic."
How did you get into brand experience? It’s all a bit of a cliché, really – a bit of talent, a lot of hard work and even more luck. First of all, I got into theatre, film, art, music and dance. Then my early education and professional experience allowed me to explore and play in a bunch of areas before I joined the "industry".
What’s the biggest job that you’ve worked on? I was the project and creative director for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Athens 2004 Olympic Games – that would be the biggest in terms of the combination of creative challenge, production scale, budget, ambition, broadcast reach and sheer fear.
Where do you find inspiration? Perhaps the thing that really inspires me is the ultimate challenge for anyone working in "creative": to do something wholly original that also has worth.
What will you be working on next? I’m the head of ceremonies for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...